Happy New Year everybody!! 🙂 I can’t believe it’s already 2019! If you have read our last blog post “Tips For Cheap Grocery Shopping”, you know that my older sister Rachel and I have joined forces and are now on this blogging adventure together! Be sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest as “Sisters Health + Home”, and subscribe to our website (on the right of this page). We are really excited to provide a variety of content for you guys! I will continue with the fitness/nutrition/health aspect of things, and Rachel is excited to begin sharing her knowledge with all things “home”! We thought it would be fun to have monthly challenges this year to help others create healthy habits and get organized! Be sure to use the hashtag #shh2019challenges and share with us how these monthly challenges are helping YOU 🙂
January Challenge: Drink a gallon of water every day!
We decided that drinking a gallon of water every day would be a great way to start off the new year, because of its MANY benefits! I personally aim to drink more than a gallon a day and always feel SO much better when I do!
Benefits of drinking water:
- Increases brain power and provides energy.
- Promotes healthy weight management and weight loss.
- Flush out toxins.
- Maintains regularity.
- Boost immune system.
- Prevents headaches.
- Prevents cramps and sprains.
- Helps regulate your body temperature.
- Prevents Backaches.
- Improves your heart health.
- Prevents bad breath.
- Takes the edge off of hangovers.
- Puts you in a better mood.
Now I know that for some people, a gallon seems like a lot! So I’ve also put together some tips to help make it easier for you to get that gallon in 🙂
- Flavor your water using things like Crystal Light or Mio. One of my current favorites is the “Peach Mango Green Tea” 🙂
- Use a straw. This definitely helps me to get my water in! I mostly use a water bottle because I drop it a lot (whoops), but when I’m hanging around the house I love using a tumblr with a straw! Using straws is also a great way to protect your teeth when drinking coffee or tea. This is a great 4 pack of reusable straws (save the planet) Stainless Steel Reusable Straws Bundle Pack.
- Set mini goals throughout the day for your water intake. This is something I personally do and it helps me a lot! Set reminders on your phone if you forget. For example, I try to drink 50 oz by lunchtime, then 100 oz before the gym (around 4:30pm), 25 oz. during my workout, and then 25+ more oz. by the end of the night. So I usually end up at 150+ oz.
- Find a water bottle/cup you like! And then figure out how many of them you need to drink in a day to reach your goal. My water bottle is 25 oz. so I aim to drink 6 or more a day.
- Download an app. There are a lot of great apps out there that are very helpful! I personally use My Fitness Pal because I already track my food on there as well. But there are a ton of other apps specifically for water intake, and they can send you reminders throughout the day as well. A few I found are:
- My Water Balance
- Drink Water Reminder N Tracker
- Daily Water Tracker Reminder
- My Water Tracker & Reminder
I hope you have found these tips to be helpful when you’re trying to reach a gallon a day! We also hope that you will enjoy these monthly challenges and find them to be helpful in creating beneficial habits for your life. Don’t forget to hashtag #shh2019challenges and share with us how these challenges are helping you! Comment below if you’re going to participate in this challenge with us!
Don’t forget to like, comment, follow, subscribe! 🙂